Two hurt in New Year's fire
January 02, 2013
MABTON - Two people were injured, one severely, in a fire yesterday morning (Tuesday) that completely destroyed a home.
The fire in the 400 block of Third Avenue in Mabton was reported at about 9:30 a.m. New Year's Day. Firefighters from Yakima County Fire District No. 5 and Prosser Fire Department had the blaze under control within an hour.
Two occupants of the home were injured escaping the flames. An 82-year-old female occupant sustained burns on more than 60 percent of her body. A male occupant, reported as her husband, also received burns to his hands, arms and head.
The two were transported to Sunnyside Community Hospital and from there airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.
In addition to the residence, two vehicles parked next to the home were also destroyed by the fire. The losses were estimated at $160,000.
The investigation has been turned over to the Yakima County Fire Marshall.