0

Turkey fryer causes $15,000 in damages to Sunnyside house

Turkey fryer catches $15,000 in damages to Sunnyside houseA Sunnyside family deep fat frying chicken wings outside their home caught their house on fire Sunday evening.

According to Yakima County Fire District #5 Deputy Chief Brian Vogel, the home owners were using a fryer, commonly used to fry turkeys, up against the house. The owner of the house, Christopher Leach, was at home when the fire started.

The oil in the fryer spilled over and caught the side of the house on fire. The blaze burnt through the eves of the house and into the attic, said Vogel.

Damages have been estimated at about $15,000.

"People need to treat those things like a barbecue," said Vogel. "Actually they're worse than barbecues. They need to be used well away from the house."

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment