0

Kitchen stove, heat lamp blamed for two house fires

Two Lower Valley homes were damaged by fire Tuesday, causing more than $30,000 in damage and forcing one family to stay with neighbors.

Tuesday morning the Grandview Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire at 401 N. Fourth St. When firefighters arrived at the home of Cindy Gonzalez they found the home's detached garage, which included an 8-by-10 foot lean-to structure, on fire.

According to a report from Yakima County Fire District Five, the fire damaged the garage, as well as the outside of Mendoza's house, the neighbor's house, three vehicles and a camp trailer. Damage to the property is estimated at $14,200. Several puppies were lost in the fire.

The report from Fire District Five states the fire was likely caused by a heat lamp set up for the puppies.

Tuesday evening, at 5:06 p.m., the Sunnyside Fire Department responded to a house fire at 3610 Sunnyside-Mabton Highway.

The fire was found in the kitchen of the home owned by Gloria Mendoza. According to a report from Yakima County Fire District Five, the fire was contained to the kitchen, although light smoke damage could be found throughout the house. The fire was extinguished by 5:33 p.m. According to the report, the fire was caused by food that was left cooking on the stove.

Damage to the home was estimated at $15,000, and the mother and four children are reported to be staying with neighbors.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment