Editor's Note: The following article appeared in the June 27, 1984 edition of The Sunnyside Sun. The article was reproduced verbatim from a story written by Mrs. Korah Mathieson in 1910, as it was read at a meeting of The Sunnyside Women's Improvement Club. The following is an excerpt on how Sunnyside celebrated its first-ever Fourth of July.
The first Fourth of July celebration was held here on July 4, 1894, and such a celebration as was held on that day has never been since at Sunnyside. A Mr. Cooper had charge of the day. A bowery was built where now stand the J.B. George Big Dept. Store, a program was carried out with music by Ide's Orchestra. The orator of the day was a Mr. McClain of the firm of McKay and McClain contractors on the canal, and he certainly must have looked down the corridors of time for he pictured a beautiful Sunnyside with paved streets, electric lights and city water and fire department. The Declaration of Independence was read by Bruce Brewer, one of the engineers. A solo "The Village Blacksmith" was sang by Mr. Walker, private secretary of Mr. Granger. After the program, dinner was served at the Globe Hotel, there were horse races on the Main Street and baseball by the Sunnyside and Zillah clubs. Willie Stobie was captain of the home team and Fred Crabb, one of the engineers, of the Zillah team. The Zillah team was made up mostly of engineers. The Sunnyside team of the young men around the country.