Sixteen-year-old Jason Hopper of Outlook is in serious condition in the intensive care unit at Harborview Medical Center following an explosion and fire in a truck camper Wednesday night. The 1973 truck camper was on the ground at a residence at 22 Fordyce Road belonging, to Charlie Guinn. Brenda Hopper is the occupant of the home.
Jason Hopper and a 15-year-old friend were in the camper when it exploded and burst into flames at about 10:30 p.m., according to Fire District #5 Capt. Pat Mason.
He said that by the time fire officials arrived, the fire was smoldering. He explained that residents at the home had put out most of the flames.
The explosion and fire was caused by a leak in a propane line in the closet of the camper, according to Mason. The gas built up and was ignited by a spark from a nearby electrical cord, he added.
The two boys were taken to Sunnyside Community Hospital by a resident at the nearby home.
The 15-year-old boy was treated and released for first and second degree burns to an estimated 9 percent of his body, said Mason.
Hopper was transferred to Harborview Medical Center, where he is being treated for second degree burns to an estimated 40 percent of his body.
Mason estimates that the trailer and contents that sustained damage were valued at $700.
. Melissa Dekker can be contacted at (509) 837-4500, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org