0

Arsonists strike again in Sunnyside

For the second time this year an empty apartment building at 504 East Harrison Avenue in Sunnyside has been damaged by fire.

The fire, which is, again, believed to be caused by arsonists, was started early Saturday morning, according to Sunnyside Fire Chief Aaron Markham.

When firefighters arrived they were able to put out the small fire using a water fire extinguisher.

"It was just smoking some when we got there," said Markham.

Further into the investigation, Markham said they found another fire site in the building. The second fire was completely burnt out.

"It's hard to say when that one was burnt," said Markham, adding that it was most likely sometime the night before.

The two areas of the apartment that were damaged were a storage room and a kitchen stove. The fire started on the storage room floor and was about two foot in diameter.

"It looked like someone chopped a hole in the floor first," he added.

Markham said the building is currently undergoing a full remodeling, so the damage to the building was minimal. He said that the areas that were damaged are going to be remodeled as part of the process.

The building belongs to John Dalrymple.

The fire is being investigated by Markham and Sunnyside Police Sgt. Jose Trevino.

"We're still waiting for follow-up from the last fire," Markham added.

Fire officials also responded to a car fire reported in 100 block of West South Hill Road. The fire occurred early Sunday morning.

The owner of the car reported to police that he was driving his car when a nickel fell into the lighter plug. He said he attempted to remove the nickel when it sparked. After several minutes the car owner noticed smoke and pulled over. After pulling over the car ignited, the driver told police.

The fire department extinguished the flames and the car was towed from the scene.

A possible fire was also reported at Neighborhood Assembly of God Church. A pastor reported that smoke had come from the vents of the church. When firefighters arrived they found that the call had been a false alarm. According to Markham, steam had actually been released from the HVAC vents.

Markham said that the church has a sprinkler system that would have been set off if a fire had been in the building.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment