0

Firefighters extinguish early morning suspicious blaze

A plastic gas can was found at a 1:20 a.m. fire this morning in an unoccupied house at 923 Lincoln Avenue, according to Sunnyside Fire Chief Aaron Markham.

Drawing no conclusions until he could investigate the fire site in broad daylight, Markham said he was keeping his options open as to the cause of the fire.

"The front door of the house was locked, but there was a hole in the wall in the room where the fire started. I want to take a closer look at that," said Markham, who added that, because the house had been deemed uninhabitable by the city's building department in October 2005, it was unoccupied.

"Since it wasn't being lived in, finding a plastic gas can in a room adjacent to one in which the fire started makes us question the cause," said Markham.

About a dozen of the city's 13 career and 24 volunteer firefighters responded to the call. The fire was confined to the one room, which was an addition to the house.

"The fire didn't even reach the attic because that room was an addition with what we call a shed roof, with no attic space between the roof rafter and the ceiling," said Markham, who added that the report of the fire came to them through Sunnyside police officers, three of whom were on the scene when firefighters arrived.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment