Fire may have been caused by children

A fire at the Paragon Apartments, 1320 South 11th Street in Sunnyside, Tuesday was not caused by faulty electrical wiring or a curling iron, candle or heater, according to Sunnyside Fire Chief Aaron Markham.

In fact, the blaze started in the center of a room occupied by children, ages 2 and 4.

Officially, Markham said the cause of the fire has been deemed a discarded heat source.

"It's possible that it may have been started by one of the juveniles in the bedroom," said Markham.

He added that there were statements given that suggested the children were in the bedroom when the fire started. All of the residents of the apartment were able to flee the fire without any injuries.

Markham said if it had been started by the youngsters, the fire was either accidental or unintentional.

The fire caused four of the apartments in the complex to be evacuated.

Markham said when residents of the three apartments that shared a main corridor area fled, they left their doors open, which increased the amount of smoke damage in the units.

The fire caused an estimated $34,000 in damage to the building, according to Markham.

"It (the fire) didn't get into the constructional components of the building," he said, adding that sheet rock will need to be replaced in the apartment where the fire started. The other three units will need to be cleaned and the ceilings most likely painted before the occupants can return.

Markham added that the contents damaged by fire and smoke is valued at an estimated $18,000.

The building is owned by Quntive Management of Lynnwood.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment