0

Mabton house damaged by fire

MABTON - Yakima County Fire District #5 firefighters responded to a house fire at 435 N. 3rd Street in Mabton just before midnight Thursday night.

According to Pat Mason, battalion officer with Yakima County, the house was filled with smoke when they arrived. There were also some flames visible from one corner of the home.

The 18 fire personnel on scene were able to contain the fire to the room it started in, although there was some heat and smoke damage throughout the house, according to Mason.

The fire started in a wall adjacent to the chimney, said Mason, who investigated the blaze. The heat from the chimney ignited the walls.

No one was injured in the fire. Vicente Tovar, who owns the house, and his family chose to stay with family living in the area rather than accept assistance from the Red Cross.

The house and its contents sustained an estimated $20,000 in damages.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment