0

G'view fire determined to be accidental

GRANDVIEW - A fire at 43 East Elm St. in Grandview has been determined accidental by Yakima County Fire District #5.

A 60x60 building and its contents were totally lost in the blaze. The building was valued at $35,000 and the contents were estimated to be valued at an additional $35,000.

The structure fire occurred this past Sunday afternoon, according to Capt. Ken Shipman of Yakima County Fire District #5.

Shipman said that individuals were burning weeds near a structure, which they had taken some precautions to protect from the fire, but when out of sight of the fire, it spread to the building.

By the time it was noticed that the fire had spread to the structure, the building was fully engulfed. Gusting winds have been determined to have been a factor.

Shipman pointed out that it is important to check weather conditions before burning and to refrain from burning in windy conditions. He added that it is also important to make sure a fire is completely out before leaving it unattended.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment