Grandview store has beef with burglars

GRANDVIEW - Employees at Grandview's Market Place arrived at work this morning (Wednesday) to find their meat department wasn't as well stocked as it had been the night before.

According to Grandview Police Detective Mitch Fairchild, sometime between closing Tuesday night and opening at 5:55 a.m. today, someone managed to break into the grocery store, located in the 200 block of North Euclid Street, and make off with 65 pounds of hamburger. He added that an undisclosed amount of money is also missing, and that store owners are still going through their inventory to see if anything else is missing.

Fairchild said it looks as though the burglars pried open the back door of the grocery store to gain entry.

The theft of the hamburger isn't the only such occurrence to happen recently in Grandview. Tuesday at 5 p.m. the Grandview Police Department responded to a report in the 1000 block of Wallace Way that someone had gone into a doctor's office and stolen a prescription pad. Fairchild said since receiving the report all pharmacies in the area have been notified about the theft, so the suspect won't be able to forge a precription.

Grandview police also responded to a gas drive-off, reported Tuesday at 11:15 p.m. in the 600 block of East Wine Country Road. Fairchild said a male suspect pumped $20 worth of gasoline into his car, then drove away without paying for it. He added that gas station employees were unable to get the vehicle's license plate number.

Fairchild said police also responded to a report of an automobile theft at 6:17 p.m. Tuesday in the 300 block of Cedar Street. He explained that the owner of the car had just purchased the vehicle and was not the registered owner of the vehicle yet. Fairchild said there is currently no suspect in the car theft.

Grandview police also responded to a report of a vehicle prowl Tuesday afternoon at 4:25 p.m. on Grandridge Road. Fairchild said an unidentified man was seen attempting to get into various vehicles at the Welch's plant. Fairchild said when officers arrived they were unable to locate the suspect.

Grandview police are still investigating all of the incidents that occurred Tuesday.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment