0

Fire causes $20,000 damage to Sunnyside home

A faulty connection in a lamp cord caused a fire that resulted in $20,000 damage to a home on Waneta Road early Tuesday morning.

The damage was confined, for the most part, to one bedroom in the house.

"The occupants had thrown water and dirt on the fire prior to our arrival and had the majority of the fire knocked down," reported Capt. Pat Mason of Yakima County Fire District #5.

Mason said 10 volunteer firefighters responded to the 4:17 a.m. call, and extinguished what few hot spots were left and also checked for any spread of fire to other rooms.

"There was not much structural damage. It was mostly interior damage, to the sheetrock, paint, carpet, that sort of thing," said Mason.

Max Robinson, disaster director for the Yakima Chapter of the American Red Cross, said two disaster workers, whom he declined to identify, also responded to the call and were able to arrange temporary housing for the three men who lived in the home owned by Jesus Soberanes.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment