G'view police help resolve car chases

The Grandview Police Department assisted in responding to two car chases this week.

One chase occurred Tuesday, Aug. 29, at about 2 a.m. when Grandview police assisted the Washington State Patrol in stopping a 1992 Chevrolet Caprice that was traveling westbound in the eastbound lanes of I-82.

Grandview Assistant Police Chief Mark Ware said two Grandview police units stopped the vehicle at about milepost 73. Ware said the vehicle was "coaxed" into the median to get it stopped.

The driver, 32-year-old Alejandro Nolasco of Grandview, was arrested on charges of driving under the influence, reckless driving and for not having a driver's license.

In addition, Ware noted that felony charges against Nolasco are also pending for taking a motor vehicle without permission.

Grandview Detective James Driscoll confirmed the Caprice was reported stolen by a Grandview resident on the evening of Aug. 29 who said Nolasco was living with him and took the car without permission. The car's owner had been away at work and noticed the missing car when he returned home later that evening.

Nolasco is currently being held in Grandview Jail. Following his arraignment today in Grandview Municipal Court, Ware said Nolasco will have a court date of mid-September

An earlier car pursuit took place at 4:32 a.m. on Sunday, Aug. 27, when a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am was seen traveling at a high rate of speed northbound on Euclid Road from King Street.

Ware reported that the vehicle turned west on West Fifth Street out to Grandview Pavement Road, with the officer in pursuit.

Ware said officers lost track of the car on a gravel road, near a gravel pit on Forsell Road. Because of limited visibility due to the dust, officers had to hold back for safety reasons. When the dust cleared, Ware said the vehicle was out of sight.

The car was later found abandoned with a flat front passenger tire at Forsell and Wasson roads. The driver had apparently fled on foot, Driscoll noted this morning.

It was later reported stolen to the Yakima County Sheriff's office. Ware said the charge in the case was felony eluding.

No other information on the case, including the identity of the driver, could be confirmed at press time.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment