Fire damage at the Dark Horse Inn in Sunnyside was limited to $2,500 due to quick action taken by a crew from Sunnyside Tire Factory and speedy response to last night's blaze by Sunnyside firefighters.
"We got the call at 5:26 p.m. Cardboard piled outside the building caught fire somehow and damaged part of the exterior wall and the soffit," said Deputy Fire Chief Lloyd Hazzard.
The fire was first spotted by Robert Orr, a mechanic at Sunnyside Tire Factory.
"Robert noticed it when he just happened to look out the back window from our office," said Rob Green, manager.
"He saw flames rolling over the roof of the Dark Horse. We saw a big ball of fire. It shocked us. The flames were 10 feet tall," said Green.
"I never saw our guys move like that before. My guys all grabbed our fire extinguishers and we got a water hose back there. We emptied two large fire extinguishers right away, a total of four. Robert was just fantastic. He just got in and moved the cardboard away. I believe if he hadn't, the building would never have been saved because there was just a wall of fire," Green said.
Fifteen Sunnyside firefighters were on site four minutes after the call was received.
"The guys from Tire Factory were spraying water on it prior to our arrival and we just had to hit the hot spots," said Hazzard, praising the quick work of the crew at Tire Factory, which is the nearest neighbor to the Dark Horse Inn.
"We saw what happened when TV Towne burned next to us and we didn't want that to happen again. I was proud of my guys," said Green.
Later in the evening, at 10:02 p.m., firefighters were called out again to extinguish a grass fire in the 200 block of Southwest Crescent Avenue.