Tips on hiring a contractor
Following are suggestions from the state of Washington for hiring a contractor:
- Obtain a written contract that includes price, payment terms, sales tax and permit fees (if applicable).
- Ask for references and check them out.
- Request the contractor post a performance bond for the entire cost of the project if it is more than $6,000.
- When advancing money for materials, it may be possible to make checks payable to both the contractor and the supply house.
- Be wary of contractors who do not provide a written contract or bid.
- Be wary of contractors who only accept cash, require large deposits or the entire costs up front.
- Further, be wary of contractors who offer a special price only if you sign today.
These and other tips are available in materials at Sunnyside city hall. More information is also available by calling regional Labor and Industries' offices in Yakima (509-454-3700) or Kennewick (509-735-0100).