High speed chase ends in arrest

A high speed chase through Sunnyside last night at 8:32 p.m. reached over 100 mph and ended with a suspect stunned with a taser and arrested by Sunnyside police officers.

According to a report by Sgt. Kent Coffman, a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass, observed traveling westbound at a high rate of speed in the 300 block of East Edison Avenue, headed up Stackhouse Avenue into a residential area where the driver failed to stop for Coffman.

At that point the race was on in earnest, with the Cutlass passing a vehicle traveling the speed limit and making several turns that took it southbound on South First Street where another officer joined the chase.

"The suspect traveled southbound on South First Street, failing to stop at the red lights at the intersection of First and East Lincoln Avenue, where the suspect car nearly impacted two vehicles that were crossing the intersection with the right-of-way," said Coffman.

He said the driver of the Cutlass then accelerated to more than 100 mph while still in the city limits.

When he reached the 3900 block of Sunnyside/Mabton Road, the driver pulled the car over, jumped from the vehicle and ran across a field to a camper, with the Sunnyside officers giving chase. In the camper, the suspect confronted one officer and was stunned with a taser.

"The suspect gave up and was arrested and then booked into the Sunnyside City Jail," said Coffman, who added that the suspect, a 23-year-old man, has a suspended license in the second degree and a warrant out of Yakima County District Court for a traffic offense.

"There were no injuries to the suspect or officers," Coffman concluded.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment