Tuesday, September 12, 2006
A double-wide, modular home was destroyed in a fire Sunday, Sept. 10, at SunValley Mobile Home Park in Sunnyside.
No one was living in the home, which was being repainted and remodeled, at the time, according to Fire Chief Aaron Markham.
"The fire appeared to have started from rags soaking in mineral spirits in a glass globe that was not completely sealed," said Markham.
He said the container had been placed under a counter, which ignited when the rags combusted.
"There were painting supplies and thinners in the area, which kinda helped fuel the fire," said Markham, adding that it spread to a small island in the kitchen.
"There were no carpets on the floor, so it spread into the partical board flooring and caused quite a bit of damage. It went into the ceiling and roof and we had to pull all the sheetrock away," said Markham, who estimated the total loss at between $40,000 and $45,000.
Firefighters contained the fire to the one home. "There are more than 100 homes in the mobile park," said Markham.
The fire was reported at 1:21 a.m. Sunday, and firefighters returned at 9:41 a.m. when the fire rekindled in insulation that had continued to burn. "We thought we had it out, but we had to go back," said Markham.
Markham said that vandals had caused damage at the vacant home in the past, but he had no reason to suspect the fire was caused by arson. "There is nothing to indicate there was any other cause except the rags," he said.
The home is owned by Dolores Arriaga of Grandview.