0

Candles blamed for fatal fire

GRANGER - According to Yakima County Sheriff's Detective Dave Johnson, Melvina Broncheau, 49, of Granger died of smoke inhalation after candles started a fire in the mobile home she was renting.

The fire occurred at approximately 11:20 p.m. this past Sunday. The mobile home was located in the 700 block of East First Street.

Apparently, Broncheau had been burning candles in lieu of electric lighting because her power had been shut off.

She was found by firefighters near the rear exit of the mobile home after the fire had been extinguished, and it is believed she had been alive when the fire began.

The fire destroyed the mobile home and damaged two nearby structures.

The incident was investigated by both the Yakima County Sheriff's detective division and the Yakima County Fire Marshal.

The autopsy was performed yesterday (Tuesday) by the Yakima Coroner's office.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment