Mabton Council asked to tone down fireworks

MABTON - Likening his city to a "war zone" during Independence Day related festivities, resident Glenn Edwin "Ed" Barnett appealed to City Council members at their regularly scheduled meeting this past Tuesday night to find another alternative to setting off fireworks in Mabton.

Barnett was there to speak during the public comment period and explained to council members that this past July, as he was grabbing a hose to put out a shrub fire at his neighbor's house that was fireworks related, he looked back in time to see one of his own shrubs on fire.

"The fourth of July is nice, but it's gotten out of hand with all of the aerials," Barnett said, adding that, in Mabton, about 30 percent of people light off fireworks while the other 70 percent stay home to guard their property from fires.

"It's early enough now to think of something, work with people," Barnett urged council members. "You've got to think of other people, not just the ones lighting (fireworks) off."

Barnett suggested having a designated area, like the school parking lot.

City Attorney Jack Maxwell informed council that if a new ordinance was to be introduced, it would have to be presented prior to Independence Day 2008 in order to take effect by the following year.

Mayor Velva Herrera told Barnett council would investigate other alternatives.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment