0

Asbestos found in burnt remains of Grandview store

GRANDVIEW - Two percent or less of asbestos has been found in the burnt remnants of a downtown grocery store in Grandview.

Su Mercado caught fire in the early morning hours of June 31 and the building was a total loss. According to Grandview Building Inspector Cory Taylor, 14 samples were taken from the burnt remnants and asbestos was found in one sample, the sticky glue that held the floor tiles down.

"There was a pile of debris covering it," explained Taylor.

Crews have been working to remove the debris from the site for a couple of weeks now.

"Everything they were moving contained no asbestos," he said.

Taylor said the asbestos found is class two, which means it's 2 percent or less. When it's in that category, he said that means the debris can be treated as normal construction waste as long as it's kept wet.

Workers have been keeping the site wet, Taylor said. Even going so far as to keep the debris wet on the way to the dump until the trash is buried.

It poses little health risk, Taylor said, because the glue is still in sticky form and not creating any type of dust.

According to Dave Caprile with the Yakima Clean Air Authority, the company handling the debris removal filled out the required form alerting the asbestos find.

"That's a notification, not a permit," Caprile said, adding that it alerts the clean air authority that the property is or has been demolished. The notice, he said, "outlines what concerns there might be."

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment