Grizzlies roll in first round District match


Sunnyside's Humberto Bermudez (6) watches his shot soar past the outstretched hand of North Central's Garrett Brickey as Sunnyside took a 5-0 lead.

Dominance is the best word that describes what the Sunnyside Grizzlies soccer team displayed against the visiting North Central Indians this past Friday in first round District play.

Sunnyside posted three goals against the number three team from the Greater Spokane League in the first 15 minutes and never looked back on its way to a 9-1 whipping.

"We had prepared for a different team," Sunnyside Coach Juan Pineda said. "When you get in the playoffs you never know what kind of team you will face. We came out and played hard with high intensity. I was surprised at how easy it was."

The Grizzlies seemed pumped up from the start.

"We are determined to make it to the State final," Pineda said. "We're just taking it one game at a time."

The win over North Central sets up a date with the Kamiakin Braves for Sunnyside this Wednesday, May 7, at 6 p.m. at Clem Senn Field.

The hero of last Friday's game had to be Brian Galvan of Sunnyside. The junior exploded for five goals and added one assist in the contest. Galvan finished the league season in second place for scoring with five goals. He equaled his entire league season's performance last Friday.

It was Galvan that had a field day with scoring but it was Emmanuel Acevedo who got the ball rolling in the third minute of play.

Acevedo booted a corner kick that was a hard, curving shot that North Central's keeper, Garrett Brickey, couldn't quite handle. Brickey swatted the ball sideways instead of forward, which allowed the ball to go into the net.

Galvan picked up his first goal of the day in the eighth minute of play. Sunnyside's Danny Alvarez threw the ball in from the sideline to Jordan Esqueda, who flicked the ball over the defender's head to Galvan. He grabbed the ball and placed it smartly past the keeper.

Jesus Solis made it 3-0 in the 15th minute of play. Galvan booted a long pass to Solis, who was able to dribble past the keeper for a goal.

Galvan picked up his second goal of the game in the 33rd minute. That was followed by a Humberto Bermudez goal in the 35th minute of play, which allowed the Grizzlies to take a 5-0 lead into halftime.

"I told them to continue to make it exciting and work on their passing," Pineda said. "I told them to keep making good plays and not to drop their intensity."

Pineda also switched up his line-up and gave some non-starters the opportunity to play.

North Central struck quickly in the second half of play. An Indian player fired a shot at Sunnyside's Joaquin Perez in the 44th minute. The ball hit the crossbar and fell into the goal for the score.

Galvan then scored three straight goals, all assisted by Luis Perez, in the 46th minute, the 48th minute and the 52nd minute.

Perez added a goal in the 67th minute that was assisted by Luis Garcia.

"The whole team picked it up," Pineda said. "The playoffs are a new season for us. The team was really pumped up for it. Our speed and aggressiveness really picked up and our accuracy improved."


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment