With Dec. 31, 2009 quickly approaching I thought it would be fun to come up with some tongue in cheek predictions for 2010.
These predictions are not in any particular order and I would hope everyone can take these tongue in cheek predictions with a grain of salt.
I'd like to see a lot of things in happen in 2010. Affordable health care would be nice. So would the ending of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. A robust economy would be a good thing, as would a rebounding dollar.
But my 2010 predictions will only deal with Sunnyside and the surrounding area. Here goes.
1. I will get a raise from the Daily Sun News.
2. The fine citizens of Sunnyside will finally learn that when the speed limit sign reads 25 mph, it really means 25 mph and not 15.
3. To show solidarity on the Sunnyside City Council, council members will begin each meeting in 2010 by grasping hands and singing a rousing rendition of Peter, Paul and Mary's Kumbaya.
4. Former Sunnyside Police Department employee Virginia Perez, who was fired in 2008 and charged with stealing money from the PD in 2009, will finally have her fate determined in a Washington courtroom.
5. Sometime in late December of 2010, probably in the last week, the fate of Sunnyside city employees Terri Rhode and Pam Sandifer, who are currently on paid administrative leave, will be resolved.
6. I will lose more hair...from my back side.
7. The city of Mabton will be named the most improved Washington city in 2010.
8. The South First Street upgrade will finally be completed.
9. Former Sunnyside City Councilman Bruce Ricks will formally ask the current council to withdraw a 2005 city council resolution renaming South First Street to Ronald Reagan Parkway. Ricks will then champion a resolution ordering the name changed to Barack Obama Boulevard.
10. The Russell lineage will continue when my wife gives birth to a healthy baby boy.
There they are, 10 things I hope to see come to fruition in the coming year. I hope everyone has a wonderful 2010.