0

Sunnyside man injured in house fire

photo

;A hide-away bed that caught fire this past Tuesday night sits in the yard of a residence in the 1000 block of Rossier Street in Sunnyside. The fire caused approximately $40,000 in damage to the house and its contents.

Sunnyside firefighters battled a house blaze in the 1000 block of Rossier Street in Sunnyside this past Tuesday that sent the occupant to the hospital.

Sunnyside Fire Chief Aaron Markham said 17 firefighters, two command vehicles, two engines, one ambulance and a support unit responded to the fire at 10:28 p.m.

Only one occupant, a male, was inside the house at the time of the fire.

Markham said initial evidence leads fire officials to believe the fire started when the man fell asleep while smoking a cigarette, which eventually ignited a small hide-away bed.

The victim suffered burns to his body and was transported that night to Yakima Regional Hospital. On Wednesday he was transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Markham said the fire was extinguished fairly quickly, within 30 minutes, but firefighters were at the scene for nearly two hours making sure everything was extinguished.

It is estimated that the building and its contents sustained $40,000 in damage.

Also since last Monday Sunnyside firefighters have answered eight calls for aid, transporting four patients to the hospital. Firefighters also provided seven transfers.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment