School district seeks for drug, alcohol treatment license

Sunnyside School Board officials last night, Thursday, learned that the school district has applied for a drug and alcohol treatment license from the state.

John Hughes, the school district's director of safe and effective schools, informed officials of the application.

"It legitimizes my chemical dependency license," he said. "If you came to me (right now) and asked me if I was a licensed professional, I can't say I am because I don't work for a licensed agency."

With the new license, Hughes said it will allow for screening, motivational counseling and will allow him to determine the level of intervention a student needs.

He said there's no funding for school districts right now, but in the stimulus package, there is funding opportunities for drug and alcohol intervention.

And, he noted, "It gives us the right to broadcast we're a treatment agency. We will be the first (school district) to apply for this license."


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment