0

Heater may have caused house fire near Grandview

photo

A fire which started in an upstairs bedroom in this Grandview Pavement Road home caused $96,500 in damage.

GRANDVIEW - A fire believed to have been started by a heater caused an estimated $96,500 in damage to a Grandview Pavement home yesterday.

The fire was reported just after 4 p.m. and firefighters raced to the 2200 block of Grandview Pavement Road. The two-story home, owned by Joe Martinez but occupied by Jose Luis Ochoa, was found to have a fire in the upstairs bedroom.

Firefighters managed to contain the fire to the upstairs bedroom and a downstairs bedroom.

Yakima County Fire District No. Five reported that the construction of the home, a form called balloon construction which features plenty of wall cavities for a fire to travel through, made the blaze harder to contain.

Grandview, Mabton and Sunnyside fire departments all responded to the scene for a total of 20 firefighters present to battle the fire.

No injuries were reported from the event and residents of the home are being assisted by the Red Cross with housing and clothing.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment