Firemen extinguish two structure fires in Sunnyside

The Sunnyside Fire Department raced to two structure fires on Sunday, Jan 9.

The first report came in just before 4 a.m. A caller reported a fire at a warehouse in the 500 block of East Warehouse Avenue.

The Sunnyside and Grandview fire departments both dispatched firefighters to the scene.

The cause of the fire was determined accidental, a result of faulty wiring. The blaze was contained within 25 minutes, said Sunnyside Battalion Chief Bill Harris. The estimated damage was placed at approximately $5,000.

"There was moderate damage to the structure," Harris added. "There were no contents lost."

The second fire occurred at a home in the 200 block of North 13th Avenue. A caller reported the blaze just after 5:30 p.m. on Sunday. By the time firefighters arrived the property owner had extinguished the blaze with a water hose.

Firefighters determined the cause of the fire to be children playing with candles around a Christmas tree.

Estimated property loss was placed at around $10,000.

Sunnyside firemen have also received 15 aid calls since last Thursday. From those calls, nine people were transported to the local hospital.

The department also transferred five people from the hospital to other health care facilities.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment