0

Child playing with lighter causes home blaze

GRANDVIEW - A child playing with a lighter was deemed the cause of a fire this past Saturday that caused $20,000 in damage to a home at 260 Puterbaugh Rd., near Grandview.

That's according to Captain Ken Robillard with Yakima County Fire District #5. He noted the occupants of the house were home at the time of the fire, but were able to evacuate and no one was injured.

Officials from YCFD #5, Sunnyside Fire Department, the Sheriff's office and Pacific Power responded to the scene of the blaze Saturday afternoon to find the second floor of the house engulfed in smoke and flames.

Firefighters were able to knock down the fire before it advanced to the home's structural support fixtures.

Robillard said the cause of the blaze was determined by an investigation at the scene.

Residents in the house stayed with family, Robillard added, and did not require assistance from the Red Cross.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment