Tuesday, October 18, 2011
OUTLOOK - When she stepped away from the stove for a moment, Sandra Thomas began to smell smoke.
Thomas noticed the grease in her cooking pan was on fire and she attempted to put the fire out by herself. But officials say the fire flashed up on her.
Yakima County Fire District #5 firefighters responded to the scene in the 2400 block of Dekker Road in Outlook, yesterday (Monday) at approximately 10:20 a.m.
On arrival, firefighters found a light-colored smoke coming from the residence. Within approximately 30 minutes, nearly 15 firefighters from three stations responded and contained the fire to the kitchen. The fire was quickly extinguished.
Officials reported the partial-loss kitchen fire was estimated at $100,000 in damages.
Thomas was treated at the scene for respiratory problems and burns to her face.
Reports conclude she suffered first and second degree burns to her face and respiratory problems secondary to trying to put the fire out.
Thomas was transported to Sunnyside Community Hospital and this morning was moved to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.