Friday, September 23, 2011
GRANDVIEW - Due to good weather and the location of an ammonia leak last night (Thursday) at Conrad & Adams Fruit in Grandview, neighbors were able to stay put.
The leak was reported just after 9 p.m. last night by residents in a nearby neighborhood.
Grandview Fire Chief Pat Mason said the leak at the fruit packing company, located in the 600 block of West Wine Country Road, was caused by a break in an electric solenoid control valve on a refrigeration compressor and approximately 5,000 pounds of ammonia was released.
"It was a big leak, but thankfully it was inside the building," said Mason.
He said the building provided a physical barrier and the weather conditions being stable kept the leak from traveling very far.
As a precautionary measure properties south of the fruit packing plant were evacuated.
The initial response was made as a result of residents in the area smelling the ammonia. Those citizens called the Grandview Police Department and officers located the smell before firefighters were called to the scene.
Ammonia Response Team members from the Sunnyside Fire Department were called to assist.
"We aired out the facility, directed the leak away from the primary site and isolated it so personnel could shut it off," said Mason.
He said the fruit company will be responsible for repairs and notifying other agencies like the Department of Ecology.
Approximately 18 volunteer firefighters from Grandview and seven firefighters from Sunnyside were on scene. They cleared the scene at about 12:45 a.m.