0

Grandview family dislodged by attic fire

GRANDVIEW - An attic fire caused nearly $35,000 in damage to a Grandview home last Friday.

Grandview firemen headed to the 300 block of Cedar Street to a possible residential fire at approximately 8:37 p.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a two-story residence, occupied by Sandra Turner, on fire and called for assistance from outside agencies.

It took 26 firefighters from Grandview, Sunnyside, Mabton and Prosser nearly 90 minutes to contain the fire and to clean up. Crews tried to access several different pockets of fire in the attic, according to the Grandview Fire Department.

Several hours later, at approximately 3 a.m. Saturday morning, firemen were called back to the scene to contain the fire again.

Grandview Fire Chief Pat Mason said firemen stayed on scene until approximately noon on Saturday to ensure the fire was completely contained.

The fire started in the attic in the area of the chimney pipe for the home's wood stove, according to officials, but the incident is still under investigation. In addition, the majority of damage accrued by the fire was confined to the upstairs bedrooms and attic.

The American Red Cross was also contacted to assist the six-person family residing in the home with temporary housing.

Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment