Wood stove cause of fire

MABTON – Mabton’s George Coronel is lucky to have escaped an inferno that yesterday (Thursday) consumed his trailer.

He told Yakima County fire officials he was heating his home via a wood burning stove. He went to bed after putting firewood in the stove just after 8:30 a.m. and less than an hour later awoke to the smell of smoke.

Coronel said he looked around and saw dark smoke, as well as fire down the hallway. He used a window to escape the home and called 9-1-1.

That was just after 9:30 a.m., say officials who responded to the blaze.

Yakima County Fire District #5 firefighters arrived at the home in the 700 block of Vance Road near Mabton finding the fire had spread to a small camp trailer and a pick-up truck.

Firefighters extinguished the fire, which they said was caused by a failure of the wood stove’s pipe. The fire, say fire officials, caused an estimated $9,000 damage.



Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment