Outdoor burns not allowed after Oct. 15

The end of the period for legal residential outdoor burning is Tuesday, Oct. 15. No outdoor residential burning will be allowed again until March 15, 2014 - with a new permit.

Residential outdoor burning is only allowed outside of urban growth areas in Yakima County when no burn ban is in place. A current outdoor residential burn permit, issued through the Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency or one of its agents, is required.

Residential burn permits cost between $47 and $52 and are renewable annually. Permits are only valid between March and October.

These permits allow the burning of natural materials, such as yard waste: tree trimmings, prunings, twigs, leaves and the like, which grew on the property listed on the permit.

All other materials are prohibited; for example, no plastics, paper, cardboard, chemicals or metals can be burned. No processed wood - treated or untreated - such as building lumber, plywood or fiberboard is allowed. The use of burn barrels is prohibited at all times.

For more information regarding outdoor burning, call the Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency at (509) 834-2050.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment