Answers to common questions about Social Security


I’m quite a number of years away from getting Social Security but I used to get a copy of my Social Security Benefits Statement every year around my birthday. I haven’t seen it. Is there a problem?


There’s no problem.

In light of the current budget situation, the Social Security Administration has eliminated the annual mailed Social Security statement and suspended the “Request a Social Security statement by phone” service.

To obtain a statement visit “my Social Security” at Don’t worry, it’s fast, it’s safe and it’s easy.

At each stage of your life, a “my Social Security” account is for you. Your personal online my Social Security account is a valuable source of information beginning in your working years and continuing throughout the time you receive Social Security benefits.

If you receive benefits, you can use a “my Social Security” online account to get your benefit verification letter for proof of income; check your payment information; change your address; change your phone number; or change your direct deposit.

It’s much faster than calling Social Security by phone. In addition, it helps save tax dollars!


Are there any big changes with Social Security in 2014?


Yes. To meet the increasing demands for Social Security services, Social Security will make changes to how it provides some services to customers.

As of February 2014, the Social Security Administration will no longer offer Social Security number printouts and benefit verification information in local field offices. Social Security is making these changes to meet the increasing demands for services at the same time that the agency’s budget has been significantly cut by over $1 billion in each of the last three years.

During this same time, Social Security has invested in technology that offers more convenient, cost-effective and secure options for customers to obtain certain services without visiting a local office.

If you need proof of your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits, you can get a benefit verification letter online instantly by having a “my Social Security” account. To create an account and learn what tasks can be completed with an account, go to


My spouse died recently and my neighbor said my children and I might be eligible for survivors benefits. Don’t I have to be retirement age to receive benefits?


No. As a survivor, you can receive benefits at any age if you are caring for a child who is receiving Social Security benefits and who is under age 16.

Your children are eligible for survivors benefits through Social Security up to age 19 if they are unmarried and attending elementary or secondary school full time.

If you are not caring for minor children, you would need to wait until age 60 (age 50 if disabled) to collect survivors benefits.

For more information about survivors benefits, read our publication Survivors Benefits at


Will my military retirement affect my Social Security benefits?


No. You can get both Social Security benefits and military retirement.

Generally, there is no offset of Social Security benefits because of military retirement. You will get full benefits based on your earnings.

The only way your Social Security benefit may be reduced is if you also receive a government pension based on a job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes.

You can find more information in the publication Military Service and Social Security at Or call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).


I’m retired and the only income I have is a monthly withdrawal from an Individual Retirement Account (IRA).

Are IRA withdrawals considered “earnings?” Could they reduce monthly Social Security benefits?


No. We count only the wages you earn from a job or your net profit if you’re self-employed.

Non-work income such as pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, capital gains and other government benefits are not counted and will not affect your Social Security benefits.

For more information, visit our website at or call toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

Kirk Larson is a Social Security Washington public affairs specialist


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment