For years, Social Security has been at the forefront of offering convenient, easy-to-use, and secure online services.
Social Security, along with those they serve, has saved a lot of paper, shipping costs and fuel - and cut back on a lot of carbon exhaust and pollution - by going online instead of doing things the old-fashioned, less efficient way. Social Security is committed to conserving energy, reducing waste and protecting the environment.
Earth Day (April 22) is the perfect time to highlight ways Social Security serves the earth while serving the public. The administration has buildings across the nation that boast high-efficiency lighting, solar hot water heating systems, high-performance windows, solar lighting in parking lots, improved heating and air conditioning systems, chilled water system improvements, and more.
Social Security is most proud, however, of its online services, which allow people to conserve their own fuel (and time) by completing their business with the administration where they are.
The online services of Social Security are popular because they’re convenient easy to use, and great for the environment.
You can conduct so much of your business with Social Security from the convenience of your home or office - no paper, printing, postage or petrol needed. Here are a few of the most popular online services:
- Connect with Social Security by creating your own “My Social Security” online account that allows you quick access to your personal Social Security information.
- Use the Retirement Estimator to get a quick and accurate estimate of your future Social Security retirement benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator
- Prepare for retirement by visiting the Benefits Planner page. You can also use the disability and survivors planners to find out how much you or your family might qualify for if the need arises. www.socialsecurity.gov/planners
- Retire online! You can complete and submit your retirement application online in as little as 15 minutes. www.socialsecurity.gov/retireonline
- Apply for disability benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability
- Apply for Medicare benefits. www.socialsecurity.gov/medicareonly
Whether you’re interested in planning your retirement or applying for retirement or disability benefits, Social Security’s online “office” is the most convenient and “green” one to visit. The online services also top customer satisfaction lists. For a complete list of online services, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/onlineservices.
Kirk Larson is a Social Security public affairs specialist.