1976: Don Hughes elected Sunnyside mayor

1946: An architect’s drawings provided a rendering of the new Valley Hay and Implement Co. building on South Sixth Street, between the Northern Pacific railroad tracks and state Highway 12. The building was scheduled for complete by late spring.

Daily Sun News file photo
1946: An architect’s drawings provided a rendering of the new Valley Hay and Implement Co. building on South Sixth Street, between the Northern Pacific railroad tracks and state Highway 12. The building was scheduled for complete by late spring.


Over the Shoulder
A look back in time from the files of the Sunnyside Daily Sun News and Sunnyside Sun

100 YEARS AGO (1916)

Sunnyside Telephone Company stockholders learned there were a satisfactory number of new business hook-ups and a substantial number of private subscribers during the past year.

90 YEARS AGO (1926)

Sunnyside tonsorial artist Harry Lamberton was reported to have sold his barber shop to a Mr. Fraser, with the intention of moving to Tacoma.

80 YEARS AGO (1936)

It was reported that Sunnyside water rights attorney S.E. Chaffee has returned from Washington, D.C. after arguing water rights cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals. Chaffee argued that the government gave up its rights to all control of water in non-navigable areas to the states and territories in 1866. The court agreed to take the case under advisement.

60 YEARS AGO (1956)

Incumbent Carroll Bagley, a supervisor for the Carnation milk plant, filed for re-election as a Sunnyside School Board director, representing district two.

50 YEARS AGO (1966)

An early morning fire destroyed Leonard Beauchene’s barn located near the intersection of Wendell Phillips and Bishop roads. The barn and its contents were described as a total loss, with damages estimated in excess of $5,500.

40 YEARS AGO (1976)

The Sunnyside city council elected Don Hughes as mayor at the council’s first meeting of the new year. Sworn in as new council members were Dr. Jim Stevens, Sr. John Atherton and Dr. Warren Meadowcroft.

30 YEARS AGO (1986)

Outlook Elementary School was evacuated when a fire was discovered in the east wing of the Van Belle Road building. The cause of the fire was blamed on a faulty transfer box.

20 YEARS AGO (1996)

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center opened an office in Sunnyside aimed at conducting research on cancers among the Hispanic population.

10 YEARS AGO (2006)

Grandview School District geared up to seek approval of a four-year maintenance and operations levy in the amount of $1.9 million from the community.



Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment