As of Friday, November 25, 2016
ZILLAH The superintendent of schools will be on a committee assessing a new state basketball system seeding.
Doug Burge was selected by the Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association Executive Board. He will be one of 14 individuals on the newly formed committee.
With the implementation of a Ratings Percentage Index to seed the 2016 Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association boys and girls state basketball championships, the Executive Board approved the Ratings Percentage Index Committee at its Monday meeting.
The 14-member committee, consisting of coaches and all levels of administration from each district, will first be tasked with reviewing the adopted basketball formula, its parameters and presentation. The committee will continually assess the index formula for basketball and determine if adjustments will be needed for future years.
The index, which will be powered by MaxPreps.com, will be updated daily throughout the 2016 season after making its debut in January.
The Executive Board has only approved a system for basketball, but in the case of expansion to other sports, the committee will be responsible for determining if formula adjustments will be needed.
The committee will consist of:
• Ken Roberts, Girls Basketball Coach, Snohomish High School (District 1, 3A)
• Mike Bethea, Boys Basketball Coach, Rainier Beach High School (District 2, 3A)
• Kim Eng, Athletic Director, Forest Ridge High School (District 2, 1A)
• Jackie Thomas, Girls Basketball Coach, Curtis High School (District 3, 4A)
• Rick Wells, Athletic Director, Puyallup School District (District 3, 4A)
• Jeff Johnson, Athletic Director, W. F. West High School (District 4, 2A)
• Doug Burge, Superintendent, Zillah School District (District 5, 1A)
• Bryan Johnson, Athletic Director, Ephrata High School (District 6, 2A)
• B.J. Kuntz, WIAA District 6 Director
• Ryan Peplinski, Athletic Director, Saint George’s High School (District 7, 2B)
• John Barrington, Athletic Director, Mead High School (District 8, 4A)
• Doug LaMunyan, Principal, Pomeroy High School (District 9, 1B)
• Greg Whitmore, Chair, WIAA Executive Board Member (District 7, 2B)
• Cindy Adsit, WIAA Staff.