Man racks up charges in chase

Police chase suspect around Grandview

— Police here stopped a Mabton man after a high-speed chase Wednesday night, but not before the man racked up a long list of charges.

Shane Curtiss, 18, appeared in Yakima County Superior Court to answer for:

Violation of a domestic violence protection order, third-degree driving while license suspended or revoked, eluding, delivering a legend drug, possession of marijuana, parole violation, reckless endangerment, second-degree malicious mischief, second-degree criminal trespass and theft of a motor vehicle.

There were two charging narratives.

One by Mabton Officer L. Diaz dealt with the auto theft at about 11 p.m. back on Sept. 22.

The second narrative, by a Grandview officer, dealt with the flight and arrest Wednesday sometime after 7:30 p.m.

According to the narrative out of Mabton, Curtiss was arrested when the vehicle he was driving crashed to end a high-speed chase through Sunnyside.

Wednesday, according to the Grandview narrative, an officer was dispatched to look for a red Ford pickup that was reported stolen.

The officer found the slow-moving vehicle in the 4300 block of E. Euclid and stopped it.

While the officer was making calls about his location, the driver stepped out of the vehicle, jumped back in and took off, according to the record.

The record shows the drive maintained the speed limit until the officer activated the emergency lights and siren. The chase was on.

The driver, identified late as Shane Curtiss, led police at 80 mph as he crossed the bridge from E. Euclid to S Euclid, according to the narrative.

The driver nearly lost the vehicle making a sharp turn onto W. Robinson Road eastbound. He slowed and the officer in pursuit pulled in behind, wondering what was next.

The driver made a U-turn and headed west on Robinson barely missing the police car, according to the narrative.

Two other Grandview officers picked up the chase, with the original chase officer third in line. They sped through Grandview at 80 miles per hour.

According to the narrative, Shane Curtiss then turned into a field north of Grandview, backed into a power pole and snapped it.

The power lines fell onto the pickup, the narrative stated.

Officers tried to keep Shane Curtiss in the pickup because of the power lines, but he came out, walked through the mess and gave up.

Grandview police considered a driving while under the influence charge after Curtiss said he “smoked a joint before the race began.”

Police spoke with the truck’s owner, LeRoy Curtiss of Mabton.

He said Shane Curtiss never had permission to drive the pickup, according to the narrative.

He also said Shane Curtiss had taken the vehicle before, but he hadn’t reported it stolen, narrative shows.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment