Drive-by suspects arrested

Caught the second time through alley

— Beefed up observation led to drive-by arrests Sunday morning.

Police officers were called to a shots fire incident in the 1200 Block of E. Edison Avenue late Saturday night and found nothing.

But, Police Cmdr. Scott Bailey said, police, some on foot, stuck around to see if anything turned up.

What turned up is a couple in a black Honda that allegedly carried out a drive-by.

It took time and a bit of struggle, but the pair was caught, arrested and jailed. They may be the perpetrators of the first incident

It was 11:06 p.m. Saturday when police were called to shots fired at the 1200 block of E. Edison Ave.

The report said a black Honda passed through the alley in that area firing numerous shots.

“We were unable to locate any damage or shell casings,” Bailey said.  

Based on the report and increased activity, officers saturated the area and conducted increased surveillance, including foot patrols, throughout the night.

At 2 a.m. Sunday morning their diligence paid off. A black Honda appeared, and shots were fired.

“Officers heard 10-15 gunshots coming from the alleyway”, Bailey said.

Officers then saw the suspect vehicle, a black Honda fleeing the area. They attempted to stop the vehicle,

The driver blew right through the officers and a short pursuit ensued.  The vehicle continued through town, failing to yield and ran numerous stop signs, with the driver attempting to evade law enforcement. 

The driver attempted to lose the pursuing officers by turning off the vehicle’s headlights. Instead, he crashed the vehicle at the intersection of Otis Avenue and Saul Road within the City of Sunnyside. 

Sheena Tate was located and arrested at the vehicle, Luis Farias fled the vehicle but was arrested approximately 50 yards from the crash. 

FARIAS was found in possession of an empty pistol magazine.  A pistol was found at the scene of the crash just outside of the vehicle.

It was discovered that the pistol was of the same caliber as numerous shell casings located in the alleyway, where officers initially heard the gunshots.

Farias, 38, and Tate, 32, both of Sunnyside, were jailed on charges of drive-by shooting. Farias got the additional charge of felon in possession of a firearm and eluding.


Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment