House fire $60,000 loss

Cold weather hampered firefighting

— A fire that started in a chase went unnoticed long enough that it was able to spread and cause $60,000 damage to a residence at 522 Bond St. Saturday.

There were no deaths or injuries, Yakima Fire District No. 5 (Wapato) Captain John Ihnen said.

Fire District 5, Wapato, received he alarm at 5:50 p.m. It had the fire under control by 7 p.m.

Five District 5 stations responded, as did the Yakima Fire Department and Pacific Power.

In addition to the fire damage, there was smoke and fire damage throughout the house.

Ihnen said the blaze was called in as a chimney fire. It was upgraded to a structure fire by the time firefighters arrived.

“We found fire on the second floor bedroom and the exterior chimney chase,” Ihnen said.

Ihnen said the chase housed piping for a wood stove. It had been burning for some time before the occupants noticed.

“(It) had traveled a good distance in dead spaces prior to the fire department arriving,” Ihnen said,

Ihnen said firefighters quickly put out the fire they could see, but there were several dead spaces they needed to expose to fully extinguish the blaze.

Firefighters struggled with 15-degree temperatures, which created hazards. The roof, walk ways and the hoses iced up.

Ihnen said the last firefighters left the scene at about 9:30. Then there was cleanup at the station.



Comments

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment