Photo detail

Stories this photo appears in:

Auditing the auditor

We were at the coast last week and I returned to work a couple of days ago to find an e-mail from acting state auditor Jan Jutte.

June 26, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

Playing through

This week a dozen or so of our state legislators are engaged in a conflict over green.

June 19, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

Welcome to Mayberry

A few miles west of Sunnyside, off of I-82’s exit 58, you’ll find the quiet, bucolic town of Mayberry.

May 29, 2015 3:10 p.m. read more..

LTAC off track

Hey kiddos! Better pony up $500 for your summer swim pass at the Sunnyside pool.

May 15, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

The Ridiculous Six

I filled in as the reporter covering the Sunnyside City Council meeting this past Monday when the marijuana ban was passed.

May 1, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

Welcome to Washissippibama

Even as Democrats in Washington state try to exorcise Indiana’s alleged demons of discrimination...others in the same party are touting how we’re more like Mississippi and Alabama.

April 3, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

‘Come clean, or quit!’

“Integrity. Respect. Independence.” Those three words scream out at the top of audit reports issued by Washington State Auditor Troy Kelley.

March 27, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

A recount is justified

Whether or not Grandview School District patrons - or more accurately homeowners in that community - will fork over $300 or so may be decided by one vote.

February 20, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

Fine... just fine

You heard the phrase hundreds of times this week, Marshawn Lynch’s, “I’m here so I won’t get fined.”

January 30, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

America’s newest media mogul

If you’re of a certain age you probably remember Siskel & Ebert. They were portly, unremarkable film critics from Chicago until they hit it big on TV with their movie review show.

January 2, 2015 3:12 p.m. read more..

In the year 2015

It was the ancient Romans, I believe, who had a deity named Janus with two faces…one looking forward and the other back.

December 26, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Don’t turn out the lights

Unless you’ve been living in a cave you are no doubt aware of tomorrow night’s Lighted Farm Implement Parade here in Sunnyside.

December 5, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Remembering an old flame

The recent spate of house fires we’ve had in the Lower Valley stirs memories of an experience Joni and I had one winter while living in South Cle Elum.

November 21, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

To Be Determined

For once, city of Sunnyside officials are taking a cue from how other cities function.

October 24, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Weary of McCleary

The Beatles - aka Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band - advised us when we die to “…declare the pennies on your eyes.”

October 3, 2014 3:13 p.m. read more..

F as in fantasy

The NFL season and Seattle’s defense of its Super Bowl title kicked off last night.

September 5, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Time for cops to cut ties with Raines

During the 2011 race for Sunnyside City Council the Sunnyside Police Guild for the first time decided to formally and publicly endorse a political candidate. They threw their support to Jason Raines, who was successful in his bid for city council.

August 22, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Uniformly uncertain

Occasionally in my 14 years of covering political races I’ve stumbled on an issue that I didn’t realize was an issue.

August 8, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

F as in farewell

Nearly every day I proof-read and edit at least one obituary for the<em> Daily Sun News</em>.

July 25, 2014 3:39 p.m. read more..

My choice for sheriff

My name is John Fannin and I approve this column. With that said, here’s my take on the Yakima County sheriff’s primary race.

July 18, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Another Stoner

Got a call this week from Jerry Dixon of Prosser in response to my column last Friday about a journalism mentor of mine, Jack Stoner, who passed away recently.

June 27, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Proud to be a Stoner

High school, college, taking on new responsibilities; those are times when you expect or at least hope to find a mentor.

June 20, 2014 3:39 p.m. read more..

Chicken scratch

I want to grow marijuana in my back yard. It’s legal in this state, and since I want to grow it everyone should be able to do it.

June 13, 2014 3:13 p.m. read more..

Learning to fly

This is my 14th year, while working for newspapers, to provide coverage of high school graduations.

June 6, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Rohman circus

Kudos to local citizens for calling on the city of Sunnyside to make sure our city’s portion of the old Yellowstone Highway is preserved.

May 28, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Sterling, Silver and a hope

The Clippers are for sale thanks to Donald Sterling’s big mouth, and I know one community that would welcome the LA team with open arms – Seattle.

May 2, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Goodbye, old friend. Despite new and supposedly improved siblings, you XP have served us well this past decade

April 16, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

A March flyer

For four months of the college basketball season I’m pretty much out of the loop on what’s happening with that sport.

March 26, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Logo a go-go

Branding is key for all entities, whether public or private, for-profit or non-profit.

March 21, 2014 3:43 p.m. read more..

And the Effie goes to…

Last Saturday the Sunnyside Chamber of Commerce held its annual Spirit of Sunnyside awards banquet and a week prior to that we had the Academy Awards.

March 14, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Less, please, of Gov. Moratorium

So our Gov. Inslee is going all Obama on the state legislature and enacting his own executive privilege with a self-proclaimed moratorium on capital punishment.

February 14, 2014 3:01 p.m. read more..

Fourth time a charm?

Three times, three close losses. That’s been the Super Bowl experience when my favorite teams have appeared in the big game.

January 31, 2014 3:10 p.m. read more..

Learning from ‘Beast Mode’

It was sure great last Saturday to see history repeating itself when Seahawk running back Marshawn Lynch rumbled for a long TD run to clinch a playoff win.

January 15, 2014 3:54 p.m. read more..

Thanks, Yakima

Sunnyside has earned a rap for turmoil and turnover in city government over the years and to an extent it’s been deserved.

January 10, 2014 3:05 p.m. read more..

Checkin’ it twice

Christmas is one week from today and children everywhere are awaiting the arrival of Santa and the outcome of his mysterious naughty and nice list.

December 18, 2013 3 p.m. read more..

Thanks for the smile

One of my bad habits is letting old e-mails back up to the point Outlook sends me a warning shot, “You’re mailbox is almost full.”

November 20, 2013 3:43 p.m. read more..

Cart, meet horse

A few weeks ago I retrieved our juicer out of the garage to whip up some juice from the grapes in our back yard.

November 15, 2013 3 p.m. read more..

Euronly to blame

What do Katrina and the Waves, Abba and Celine Dion have in common besides being pop music artists?

October 18, 2013 3:29 p.m. read more..

Primary lessons

The primary election that appears to be mercifully coming to an end next week has me longing for the days when we used to have the old polling places down the street.

August 16, 2013 4:33 p.m. read more..

Sunny options ahead

It might sound something like the Monkees’ hit, but a Sunshine Days Sunday might be the way to go for the festival’s future.

June 5, 2013 11:17 a.m. read more..

In the year 2023

The other day I saw a national survey claiming the worst job in the world is that of newspaper reporter because the occupation is in danger of disappearing in the next 10 years.

May 10, 2013 3:15 p.m. read more..

Five for Friday

My favorite sports column is Peter King's "Monday Morning Quarterback," which covers all things related to the NFL and beyond.

April 19, 2013 2:14 p.m. read more..

Ode to Arlene's

When I was a kid growing up in Coos Bay, Ore., a favorite stop on our two-hour drive to the big city (Eugene) was a visit to Arlene's - an old fashioned cafe/general store.

April 12, 2013 3:32 p.m. read more..

Tri-City trial by fire

In the many councils and boards that we cover here in the Lower Valley, one of the questions that's always lingered in the back of my mind is why it costs so much more to run the city of Sunnyside.

April 3, 2013 2:20 p.m. read more..

Let's hear from the candidates

Eight city managers in less than six years: Bob Stockwell, Mark Kunkler, Eric Swansen, Jim Bridges, Mark Gervasi, Frank Sweet, Aaron Markham and John Darrington.

March 22, 2013 2:20 p.m. read more..

Come to the table

The Abolitionists is a three-part PBS series about those who endured persecution and suffering to bring an end to slavery in the U.S.

February 1, 2013 2:59 p.m. read more..

Not-so-good to go

Recently the Washington State Department of Transportation breathlessly touted the one-year anniversary of tolls on the SR 520 bridge across Lake Washington.

January 9, 2013 4:15 p.m. read more..

Fix-all cliff

Don't know about you, but I spent part of Christmas morning assembling some of the gifts that Joni and I gave each other.

December 28, 2012 2:34 p.m. read more..

A different Christmas

Our typical holiday involves spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Joni's family, weather and mountain passes permitting.

December 21, 2012 3:11 p.m. read more..

Grateful remembrance

In Marcel Proust's seminal Remembrance of Things Past, there is a passage where the author dips a cookie into a cup of tea and the taste immediately recalls for him a forgotten early childhood memory about his aunt.

December 14, 2012 2:49 p.m. read more..

Third time's a charm

Twice in the past few years high school seniors in the Lower Valley have approached me about being a mentor for their senior projects.

November 30, 2012 3:08 p.m. read more..

Temporary fix?

Sunnyside is moving forward with hiring a new police chief. There are candidates to interview and backgrounds to vett.

November 14, 2012 2:51 p.m. read more..

Roll on Columbia, roll on!

Lost in the election hubbub on Tuesday was the fact that for the first time a majority of voters in Puerto Rico said they'd like to become the 51st U.S. state.

November 9, 2012 3:12 p.m. read more..

Anniversary time travel

Joni and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary and she provided a nice brunch for us, complete with quiche, juice, coffee and fruit.

October 17, 2012 3:36 p.m. read more..

A promise to keep?

Sunnyside's Promise is looking to the community for financial support to keep its programs going.

October 5, 2012 3:16 p.m. read more..

Arab Spring, our fall

Can it be just a few months ago we were flush with hope that the "Arab Spring" might result in a safer, more stable Middle East.

September 14, 2012 2:50 p.m. read more..

Jailhouse blues

Maybe I'll get called in, maybe I won't, but this week I'm getting my first taste of jury duty.

August 29, 2012 1:58 p.m. read more..

F as in fantasy

I love football and my interest in the NFL will only likely grow as next week is the draft.

July 27, 2012 2 p.m. read more..

Oh, be careful...

Perhaps you remember the old Sunday School children's song that went something like "oh be careful little eyes what you see, little mouth what you say..."

July 20, 2012 3:08 p.m. read more..

The court got it right

I hate to admit it...but Chief Justice John Roberts and company did the right thing yesterday in upholding the Affordable Care Act.

June 29, 2012 2:52 p.m. read more..

Bye bye Bears

Many times I've thought I should go see the Yakima Bears minor league baseball team play.

June 22, 2012 3:07 p.m. read more..

There's something to do

"There's nothing to do!" That's the theme you hear at most public meetings about solving issues of gangs and other youth crimes.

June 15, 2012 3 p.m. read more..

Pulling together

In Grandview they were relaying for life. In Sunnyside they were transforming homes. In Mabton they were bringing a city park to life.

May 23, 2012 4:24 p.m. read more..

Dog (wood) days of spring

The big surge in hot weather we've had the past few days hit the spot as the Dogwood tree in our back yard finally sprouted its bright pink blossoms.

April 25, 2012 4:04 p.m. read more..

Quiet riot

The mayor begged for order and police were called in for security purposes during the Sunnyside City Council meeting this week.

March 30, 2012 3:31 p.m. read more..

Looking outside in

In little more than a week Sunnyside Police Chief Ed Radder will retire after more than 30 years with the department.

March 21, 2012 4:21 p.m. read more..

And the Effie goes to...

The Sunnyside Chamber of Commerce's awards banquet is tomorrow night, so it's time again for my second annual Effie awards.

March 16, 2012 3:59 p.m. read more..

We're listening

I'm glad the Sunnyside City Council approved an ordinance to be civil to one another during council meetings.

March 2, 2012 2:51 p.m. read more..

Let's welcome the Seattle Royals

I'm following with interest the rumblings in Sacramento, which is in danger of losing its NBA team, and Seattle, which has support to build a new arena to lure a team like the Sacramento Kings.

February 17, 2012 4:02 p.m. read more..

Where's the report?

Last fall the city of Sunnyside commissioned a $50,000 review of police department operations.

January 18, 2012 3:24 p.m. read more..

A few tweaks

If ain't broke, don't fix it," goes the saying, and there's certainly not much broken when it comes to the Lighted Farm Implement Parade in Sunnyside.

December 7, 2011 4:16 p.m. read more..

I knew a pastor once who referred to Thanksgiving as thanksliving...that is letting thankfulness be an ongoing attitude year-round.

November 23, 2011 3:58 p.m. read more..

My sweet addiction

It was in a social setting when I first sampled what has become an addiction over the past several weeks.

November 11, 2011 1:59 p.m. read more..

An extra hour

I'm not ready to "fall back" an hour this weekend, and the shorter days that go with it.

November 4, 2011 4:17 p.m. read more..

Honoring our soldier

This past weekend Joni and I had a chance to visit family in Western Washington and one of the highlights was to see her cousin, Danny, home on leave from serving in the Middle East.

October 26, 2011 3:27 p.m. read more..

A drop in the bucket?

Sunnysiders seem to be shopping closer to home more, as the city of Sunnyside's sales tax revenue is $60,000 ahead of projections this year.

October 5, 2011 4:12 p.m. read more..

You get the final say

Today I'm finishing up the last of 14 candidate interviews to preview November general election races in Sunnyside, Mabton and Grandview.

September 30, 2011 3:08 p.m. read more..

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Information from the Daily Sun News and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)