Photo detail

Stories this photo appears in:

Higher standards expected

The role of any public figure, whether politician, government employee or the face of the local media, is important because all of these roles require the trust of the public.

June 24, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

Bring on the rain

We received a little more than an inch of precipitation this past Wednesday and Thursday, which kept me thinking about our local farmers.

May 15, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

Temper tantrum among prisoners

At the beginning of the month I attended a Yakima County Commission meeting and learned several Yakima County Jail inmates had filed claims against the county, amounting to millions of dollars.

April 22, 2015 3 p.m. read more..

More time for people than for paperwork

Visiting schools on a regular basis, I was surprised earlier this week when I was made aware Sunnyside has a principal who has taken a different approach from others I have met.

April 17, 2015 3:09 p.m. read more..

Giving thanks for the season

Although yesterday was Thanksgiving, I can’t help but share how grateful I am with the people who have chosen to share their lives with me.

November 28, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

In service to others

Some wear the title of “Christian” as a badge of honor, others wear it as a shield and a few live their lives as an example without boasting.

November 21, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

WEA is asking too much

I remember being in a classroom of 36 students when I was in elementary school. Somehow the teacher managed to educate each of us and meet our needs.

October 29, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Gone in the blink of an eye

My heart has been heavy since hearing the devastating news that a good portion of my hometown was destroyed by a wildfire.

September 24, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

End of an era?

Last week I read a story detailing the impending closure of Yakima’s only record store, Off the Record.

August 13, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Changes underway

Sunnyside motorists traveling to and fro, who typically traverse South Sixth Street to get from one destination to another have inevitably noticed their route of travel has become a construction zone.

March 28, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Nickel-and-dimed at every turn

It seems everywhere we turn we are charged a small fee for using the tools that are meant to secure payment for goods or services rendered.

February 28, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

New life instills sense of hope in all of us

The birth of a baby always seems to bring a sense of joy, wonderment and hope to the lives of others. Yesterday, our office was filled with smiles at the news that a baby girl came into this world, joining the Wise family.

January 24, 2014 3 p.m. read more..

Holidays are here

I can hardly believe the holidays are here already. Tomorrow, families will be celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas is less than a month away. It seems time has passed so quickly this year.

November 27, 2013 3 p.m. read more..

Ignorance is no excuse

I have always been a fan of education. Without learning more about the world around us we live in ignorance.

November 6, 2013 3 p.m. read more..

Give credit where credit is due

Students attending high school now have advantages afforded them that I am certain many in my generation wish were available when we were in school.

October 4, 2013 4:59 p.m. read more..

It’s never too late to show you care

Earlier this week I read a heart-touching story about a 92-year-old woman adopting a 71-year-old woman who has since her teens been a part of the older woman’s family.

August 23, 2013 2:39 p.m. read more..

Role of a journalist is not always easy

This week the news staff at the Daily Sun News was asked to read a trade journal article written about the firing of a freelance writer who spoke out during a public meeting.

August 7, 2013 midnight read more..

History teaches us many lessons

Having not grown up in the Yakima Valley or Washington state, I am not as familiar with events throughout the state's history as I am with California and the Gold Rush.

May 24, 2013 2:47 p.m. read more..

Three women give hope to families

The discovery of Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight earlier this week brings hope to many families across the nation, who are still looking for their missing children.

May 8, 2013 3:08 p.m. read more..

United we stand

People from all over the U.S. are supporting the city of Boston and those who were injured or killed at Monday's Boston Marathon, through prayers and kind deeds.

April 17, 2013 3:17 p.m. read more..

It was a team effort

The Grandview High School boys swim team had an amazing first year, having qualified to compete at the State meet in Federal Way.

February 20, 2013 3:24 p.m. read more..

Let the healing begin

When something as dramatic as an individual in a key city position like deputy police chief is allegedly dismissed by the city manager, you bet the news will travel like wildfire.

February 15, 2013 4:22 p.m. read more..

Fishy prices

If you've ever watched chefs Gordon Ramsey and Robert Irvine on the television shows Kitchen Nightmares and Restaurant Impossible, you know these two experts insist that quality food, reasonable prices and good service are the basis of a successful restaurant venture.

January 23, 2013 4:37 p.m. read more..

Celebrate your life

A couple of evenings ago I attended the annual Lower Valley Relay for Life kick-off event, and organizers decorated the venue as though those attending were at a birthday party.

January 18, 2013 2:50 p.m. read more..

Do the math

It seems there has been some confusion since the Sunnyside City Council was provided the utility tax rates for neighboring communities.

January 11, 2013 2:49 p.m. read more.. option for Library Friends

As an buyer the last thing I anticipate when purchasing an item is that it is going to have been something that originated from right here in the Yakima Valley.

November 23, 2012 2:46 p.m. read more..

Comments are subject to moderator review and may not appear immediately on the site.

Please read our commenting policy before posting.

Any comment violating the site's commenting guidelines will be removed and the user could be banned from the site.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.